Swedish Lutheran missionary Johann Zachariah Kiernander arrived in India in 1740 as a missionary, with the approval and support of the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge (SPCK). He worked and spent long 18 years of his life in South India and came to Calcutta at the request of Lord Clive.
Myra Hindley was born in a working class suburb of Manchester in July 1942. Her father, Bob, a labourer, served the Parachute Regiment during the Second World War, He was a tyrant and used to beat little Myra regularly when she was young, but also taught her how to fight.
Located on 2/2, Council House Street, at the North-Western corner of the majestic Raj Bhawan of Calcutta, St. John’s Church, is known to be one among the first public buildings constructed by the East India Company, after Calcutta became the capital of British India. Initially, it was a chapel. However,
After the sad demise of Eurydice, his beloved, Orpheus became completely shattered and desolate. Nothing could bring solace to his tormented soul. He played extremely sad songs to the pleasure of the rocks and the rivers and the trees. His only comfort was to lay on a huge rock and
The Portuguese traders arrived in Calcutta before the British and some of them settled near the bank of the River Hoogly. At the beginning they used to pray in a mud hut. Job Charnock had originally granted 10 bighas of land to the Roman Catholics of the Augustinian order to
The Armenian Community of Calcutta, except a very few, were all descendants of the Armenians of Julfa, now in Iran. The first group of Armenians, who settled in India, was mostly rich merchants and traders, and they intended to reestablish themselves as a separate socio-cultural identity. They constructed alms houses,
Just beside a kiosk for the guards on the southern front of the Writers’ Building, a simple obelisk painted in white will definitely attract a curious mind. With heads of lions adorning the either sides of the base, a plaque in the middle indicates that the little memorial was erected