Located at the corner of BBD Bag (South) and Red Cross Place (formally Wellesley Place) and situated at 32 and 32A BBD Bag, the Standard Life Assurance Building – better known as Standard Building, was designed under the supervision of Frederick William Stevens. Frederick William was the consulting architect of
Neveh Shalom, means the oasis of Peace, is notable as the first Baghdadi Jewish community house of prayer in India. It was built by Shalom Obaida-Ha-Cohen in 1831 in the memory of his father Shalom Ha-Cohen. The Neveh Shalom is actually a very simple prayer hall and is not at all
Beth El literally means the House of God.
Built in 1856, Beth El Synagogue is located on Pollock Street, just off the Brabourne Road and very near to the Magen David Synagogue. This is one of the busiest commercial areas of Calcutta and the beautiful edifice is madly surrounded by the
Calcutta was the main commercial hub of India during the British rule and naturally it attracted many trading communities, including the Jews. The history of the Jews in Calcutta dates back to the eighteenth century, most of whom were Bagdadi Jews. Today, they are a disappearing lot. Once, during the
History says that the Greek connection to the city of Calcutta dates back almost to the days of Job Charnock. In fact, the Greeks emigrated to India after the Ottoman and Turkish invasions in the 16th century. During those days, Calcutta had quite a sizeable Greek community, mostly close-knit clans
Katherine Mary Knight was born and brought up in an unconventional and a dysfunctional family environment. Her mother, Barbara Roughan had an adulterous relationship with Ken Knight, a friend and co-worker of her husband and was forced to move away from the peaceful town of Aberdeen, New South Wales in
There was once even a dense forest and an unhealthy filthy tank in the locality, where the Holy Trinity Church is now situated at 33B, Raja Rammohan Roy Sarani, opposite to the Vishudhanand Saraswati Marwari Hospital.
However, in 1823, a new street was constructed in the area and was named as
During 1862, Rev. James Broodbent, a Wesleyan Methodist missionary and the then Chaplain at Fort William, intended to construct a new Chapel in Sudder Street, for the use of the military personnel and the Christian civilians residing in Calcutta and Barrakpur. Along with Mr H.G.Highfield, he tried his best, but
St. Teresa of Avila Church, built in 1889, and located on the AJC Bose Road near Moulali, is considered to be a heritage Catholic Church in Kolkata. The foundation stone of the present church was laid on the 28th December 1895, and it was blessed by Monsignor Goethals on 22nd
According to Greek mythology, Callisto, a river goddess, was the daughter of Lycaon, the king of Arcadia. She was one of the favourite companions of the moon goddess Diana (Artemis) and used to accompany her on the hunt. Like all the other nymphs of Diana, she also took a vow