This is fascinating to witness a grand old castle. But if it is abandoned then it will take you back to the time. The year old architecture, designs tell a story, a history about the place. The reason behind their abandonment may be war, loss of fortunes, violence or any other reason but the ruins still illustrate the glory of these castles.
To enter an abandoned castle is really very thrilling. So, let’s visit 10 such castles which are beautiful but now a ruin.
Chateau Miranda or Chateau de Noisy, Celles, Belgium
The neo-Gothic palace is erected for the Liedekerke-De Beaufort family. English architect Edward Milner built this castle in 1866. They lived here until the rise of Nazi Germany and World War II. During the Battle of the Bulge, German forces occupied the palace.
In 1950, Chateau Miranda was renamed as Chateau de Noisy after it was taken by the National Railway Company of Belgium. Later, the building was used as an orphanage and a holiday residence for sick children. The palace has been abandoned since 1991 as the costs to maintain it was too huge, and a search for investors in the property failed.
Due to the lack of repair, the palace is now in a poor state. Parts of this palace were heavily damaged in a fire and many areas of the ceiling are collapsing.
Kasteel van Mesen, Lede, Belgium
This castle was built during the ninth and tenth centuries to protect against the rulers. The rich Ghent family came into possession of this castle after the marriage of Jake Bette Isabelle, the only daughter of the local lord Jan de Gruutere.
The 500-year-old castle served as tobacco factory, gin distillery and in the late 19th century it became girls’ boarding school. After a French education ban in Flemish areas, the school was closed and in 2010, it was destroyed.
Gwyrch Castle, Abergele, North Wales
This 19th century castle was erected for Bamford-Hesketh family. The castle was passed down to heiress Winifred, the Countess of Dundonald, a patron of welsh art and music. During World War II, the government used this castle to house 200 Jewish refugees.
The Dundonald family left the castle because of the war and it was opened to the public for twenty years. It was called “The Showpiece of Wales”. The castle was last open to the public in 1985.
Some say they witnessed some paranormal activity in the castle, sighting of a young woman gazing out a window. Some believe the figure is a spirit of a servant girl, some say it’s the countess herself.
Prince Said Halim’s Palace, Cairo, Egypt
This beautiful abandoned palace was abandoned since 2004. It was designed by Antonio Lasciac in 1899 for Prince Said Halim Pacha. This stunning piece of architecture was served as one of the top secondary schools for boys in Cairo.
The British confiscated the palace during World War I. Later, Halim transported it into Al-Nassiriyah secondary school for boys. But now the palace is in a very sad state of decay.
Bannerman Castle, New York
In 1900, Scottish immigrant Francis Bannerman purchased the Pollepel Island and built a castle to advertise his military surplus business. He purchased millions of rounds of ammunition and large quantities of military weaponry in the wake of the Civil and Spanish-American Wars.
After his death in 1918, an unfortunate incident damaged the castle. 200 tons of ammunition shells and powder exploded and destroyed a small part of the castle. Again in 1969, a fire destroyed the floors and roofs. In 1950, the only ferryboat that serviced the island sank in a storm, since then it is vacant. One-third of the structure was collapsed in 2009.
Muromtzevo Castle, Russia
This 19th century legendary castle was built by Russian architect P.S. Boitzov. The legend behind the castle is a Russian nobleman travelling through France and met with a French lord. They argued over the superiority of two countries. Vladimir Khrapovitsky challenged the French lord that he could erect a magnificence castle compared to France. He hired Boitzov and the architect built the castle in the style of a medieval German castle with a French touch.
But unfortunately, Khrapovitsky was forced to flee and live out his final days in poverty because of the growing unrest of the Russian Revolution. Later, the palace was used as a college and a hospital. But this legendary castle is totally damaged now.
Ruperra Castle, Wales
In 1626, Sir Thomas Morgan, Steward to the Earl of Pembroke built this historical castle. It is one of the first of the ‘mock’ castles to be built in Wales. After the Battle of Naseby, king Charles I spent two nights at Ruperra Castle in 1645.
A fire destroyed the castle in 1785 and rebuilt. The castle was remained in Morgan’s hands until around 1935. The British Army used this during the World War II. But the castle was again devastated by fire in 1941 and since then it stands as a ruin.
Chateau de Carnelle Saint-Martin-du-Tertre, France
This castle was surrounded by the lush greenery of Carnelle forest. The chateau was built in 1876 when the Duke of Massa had the castle constructed in the likeness of Chateau de Maison-Laffite. It served as a hospital but in 1992, the chateau was closed completely. It was listed as a historic monument by decree of 4 December 1987.
Castello di Samaezzano Reggello, Italy
This castle is an Italian palazzo in Tuscany notable for its Moorish Revival architecture style. This was built in 1605 for the Ximenes of Aragon. Ferdinand Panciatichi Ximenes remodelled it in the late 19th century into a Moorish Revivalist style full of colours and detailed patterns. It has 365 rooms and in the last century, it served as a luxury hotel. A committee called FPXA 1813-2013, an acronym for Ferdinand Panciatichi Ximenes d’Aragon, was organized in 2012 to attempt to restore and preserve the palazzo.
Pidhirtsi Castle, Ukraine
This lavish mansion is a chateau type residential castle-fortress, built between 1636 and 1640. This was constructed by Guillaume Le Vasseur de Beauplan by order of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth’s Grand Crown Hetman Stanisław Koniecpolski, on the place of the older fortress. During the World War I, the Russian soldiers destroyed the interior.
Then Prince Roman Sanguszko belonged to the castle and he fled to Brazil with valuable furnishings of the house. After the WWII, the Soviets reopened it as a Tuberculosis clinic. But the castle caught fire for three weeks and was damaged.