Swedish Lutheran missionary Johann Zachariah Kiernander arrived in India in 1740 as a missionary, with the approval and support of the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge (SPCK). He worked and spent long 18 years of his life in South India and came to Calcutta at the request of Lord Clive.
Located on 2/2, Council House Street, at the North-Western corner of the majestic Raj Bhawan of Calcutta, St. John’s Church, is known to be one among the first public buildings constructed by the East India Company, after Calcutta became the capital of British India. Initially, it was a chapel. However,
The Armenian Community of Calcutta, except a very few, were all descendants of the Armenians of Julfa, now in Iran. The first group of Armenians, who settled in India, was mostly rich merchants and traders, and they intended to reestablish themselves as a separate socio-cultural identity. They constructed alms houses,