St. Teresa of Avila Church, built in 1889, and located on the AJC Bose Road near Moulali, is considered to be a heritage Catholic Church in Kolkata. The foundation stone of the present church was laid on the 28th December 1895, and it was blessed by Monsignor Goethals on 22nd day of April 1897.
However, the parish was canonically established on 25th April 1897. This is a Roman Catholic Church, serving the Entally Parish and surrounding areas. The church was named after St. Teresa of Avila, the prominent Spanish mystic, Roman Catholic Saint and Carmelite nun of the 16th century. St. Teresa of Avila, a doctor of the Church and a Master of the Christian spiritual life, was born in the year 1515 and her life spanned the great tumult and upheaval of the historical epoch known as the Reformation.
The beautiful red building of the St. Teresa of Avila Church has an imposing structure with Its twin minarets. It is interesting to note that, many of the instructions were inscribed on the walls of the church in Bengali language, indicating that it must be a popular parish amongst the Bengali speaking Anglo-Indian society. After about one hundred years of its construction, it was renovated and made a double storied church on 22nd April 1997 and was blessed by Mother Teresa. The church also contains a statue of Mother Teresa.
Location of St. Teresa of Avila Church