You are here
Home > Kolkata Diary > Heritage Buildings of Colonial Calcutta > HERITAGE BUILDINGS OF COLONIAL CALCUTTA – Collectorate Building

HERITAGE BUILDINGS OF COLONIAL CALCUTTA – Collectorate Building

Collectorate Building Front View

Located on Clive Street (NS Road), and sandwiched between GPO and the Reserve Bank of India, the three storyed red-brick building of Calcutta Collectorate is a graceful and well-maintained heritage building of Colonial Calcutta. It was constructed in 1892, on the site of the old Customs Building and the furthest corner of the old Fort William, which was razed by Siraj-ud-Daula.

Originally, the East India Company used to engage a European as the Collector (Zaminder) and he in turn used to appoint a native (Black Zaminder) as his deputy. John Zephaniah Holwell, infamous for “Black Hole’’, was also a Zaminder and his native deputy, the Black Zaminder, was notorious Gobindram Mitter. Gobindram (or Gobindaram) was famously rich and said to be the first native of the town to have a horse drawn carriage. He was the man, who built the Navaratna Mandir (nine turreted temple) or “Black Pagoda” in Chitpur area. The temple was unfortunately knocked down by a disastrous cyclone in 1820. However, the ruins of the said temple can still be seen today.

In 1783, the office of the collector was situated on the southern side of Lalbazar, with the old jail (Harinbari) to its east. In 1820, the office shifted at the crossing of Chowringhee Road and Park Street. During 1830’s the Collector had his office at the Old Mint. From Church Lane the Collector moved to Bankshall Court, the three-storeyed building, which was formerly the office of the Revenue Board.

The present building was constructed in 1892, during the tenure of Sir Charles Elliot, as the Lt.-Governor of Bengal. The dignified building with its mansard roof is devoid of any tall romantic column or decorated divine pediment. But it has a grand arched entranceway, two beautiful corner towers and a central courtyard. The rooms on the 1st and 2nd floors are recessed and are attached to the broad veranda, which acts as a protective shield against the scorching heat of the summer months. Though the building does not have the grandeur of the Writers’ Building, it has a dignified grace of its own.

There was a proposal in 1973 to demolish this century old heritage building and erect a modern 18 storey skyscraper on the plot. But the extreme furore over the proposal compelled the Government to shelve the project.

Collectorate Building view from the South
Collectorate Building view from the South
Collectorate Building inside courtyard
Collectorate Building Partial View
Dibyendu Banerjee
Dibyendu Banerjee
Ex student of Scottish Church College. Served a Nationalised Bank for nearly 35 years. Authored novels in Bengali. Translated into Bengali novels/short stories of Leo Tolstoy, Eric Maria Remarque, D.H.Lawrence, Harold Robbins, Guy de Maupassant, Somerset Maugham and others. Also compiled collections of short stories from Africa and Third World. Interested in literature, history, music, sports and international films.

Leave a Reply

Top