Located on the Commissariat Road, near to the Princep Ghat, Ordnance Club is owned and managed by Ordnance Services Officers Welfare Society. After the formation of the Board of Ordnance on 08 April 1775, a recreational centre was created, managed by the Ordnance Officers. As late as 1907, this centre was established as a club to promote sports and cultural activities of the members. Rule of the Club was, however, approved the Government in 1927. During the earlier days, membership of the Club was restricted mostly among the British officers, British Warrant Officers and Indian Army Officers. A few elite civilian officers were also permitted to be considered as members as exceptions. After independence of India in 1947, the Club opened its membership to other civilians of various social standings on a restricted scale.
Ordnance Club is one of the oldest and prestigious sports Clubs of Calcutta. It is mainly a Sports Club with facilities for Tennis, Table Tennis, Badminton, Billiards, Snooker, Squash, Swimming, Cards and Gym with excellent training facilities and infrastructure. Professional coaches and life savers are employed to impart training and ensure safety of the swimmers. The Club regularly conducts various State Ranking tournaments. Apart from that, Rain Dances, Pool Site Parties, various cultural and entertainment programmes are regularly arranged to entertain the members.
To keep the pace of the time, Ordnance Club has accepted modernity and at the same time retained the old charm to pleasantly remind the golden past. The Main building of the Club, the ballroom with polished wooden floor, the well maintained lush green lawn and the entire ambiance generously reflects the heritage and legacy of the Army Club, with special emphasis on discipline, sports and quality entertainment.