Saturday Club in Calcutta was founded in the year 1875, mostly by the officers of the Calcutta Light Horse Regiment. The original location of the Club remains unknown still today. But finally it moved into its present premises at 7 Wood Street in 1900. It is said that, for a token sum of Rupees Five only, John Carapiet Galstaun of 234/4, Lower Circular Road was kind enough to allocate premises no. 7 Wood Street to the Saturday Club. The original owner of the premises was, however, the Trustees of the Marble Palace of Rajendra Mullick Bahadur. They leased the property to John Galstaun for 51 years.
Since Calcutta Light Horse Regiment was disbanded after the Independence of India, the Regiment Trophies were housed in the bar of the new premises, which is known as “Light Horse Bar” which still retains the same old decor & atmosphere. Amongst the collection, there are Victoria and Military Crosses, awarded to the Regiment for gallantry.
With time, the more than a Century old Club, has gone through constant changes and transition, maintaining the balance between tradition and trend of the new generation without diluting the original charm and heritage of the old world. It retains the aura of the Old British Culture mixed with Indian Heritage. Today, the Club offers all the facilities available in the other top grade clubs in the City. Apart from games & leisure activities, it provides facilities of a health club, a beauty parlor, a cyber cafe and of course, the choice of multi cuisines, which includes the Indian, Continental and Chinese dishes. The Club is well equipped with an English Pub, Open Air as well as Classy Bars – which are always patronized to the delight of the members & their guests.