Sir Elijah Impey was designated as the first chief justice of the Supreme Court at Fort William in Bengal on 13th June, 1732. He became infamous in India for his vindictive judgement against Maharaja Nandakumar. In 1775 he presided at the trial of Maharaja Nandakumar, who was accused by Warren Hastings of forging a bond in an attempt to deprive a widow of more than half her inheritance. Warren Hastings happened to be a school friend of Sir Elijah Impey. Some historians opined that Maharaja Nandakumar was falsely charged with forgery and Sir Elijah Impey intentionally adjudged him guilty and ordered to hang Nandakumar. Nandakumar’s hanging was called a judicial murder by certain historians.
At the instance of Impey, a new Ghat was constructed along the eastern side Hoogly River, a few yards to the north of Prinsep Ghat. This Ghat was categorically marked only for the use of the dignified British officials, especially Judges, who were posted by the Empire in India. The Ghat, therefore, was christened as the Judges Ghat. Interestingly, it is also known as the Gwalior Ghat, perhaps because of its nearness to the Gwalior Monument.
Unlike Prinsep Ghat, Babu Ghat, Armenian Ghat and others, Judges Ghat does not have any building. However, there is a concrete space overlooking the water body for performing the religious rituals.