Located at 72, S. N. Banerjee Road, the Calcutta Boys’ School was founded by the Bishop J. M. Thoburn of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1877. Actually, it was promoted by the late Robert Laidlaw and others, who were interested about imparting education to the sons of the Anglo-Indian and domiciled European community in the city.
Initially the School was located on Mott Lane, and then shifted in a room on Corporation Street (S. N. Banerjee Road). For quite a long time the school had to struggle hard for survival without a building of its own. Finally, due to the generosity of Sir Robert Laidlaw, It acquired a permanent address in 1893.
But the hard days were not over. During its early days the school had to struggle for finances and was on the verge of closing down during the Great Depression. During those hard days Principal Horace Christopher Fritchley took the helm and saw the school through the turbulent days of 1930s and 1940s, which saw the tough days of Depression, the Second World War, Independence and Partition of the sub continent. He donated his retirement benefit and gratuity to his dear CBS, which later helped the construction of the Fritchley Building.
Fritchley was succeeded by his son-in-law Clifford Hicks in 1952, who took voluntary retirement from his position of Principal & Secretary in October 1974. The school library, known as the Clifford Hicks Memorial Library, is now housed in the old dormitory.
Leaving the Senior Cambridge course, the School is now following the ICSE and ISC syllabus.