Rev. Alexander Duff, the first missionary to India from the Church of Scotland, founded General Assembly’s Institution on 13 July 1830, in Feringhi Kamal Bose’s house, located in upper Chitpore Road, near Jorasanko, with the support of Lord William Bentinck, the then Governor General of India. In 1836 the institution was moved to Gorachand Bysack’s house at Garanhatta, where the Oriental Seminary now stands. The School continued in the said building till March 1844. After that the school was shifted to Cornwallis Square. In 1910 the school was finally transferred and settled in the newly constructed building on the Cornwallis Street. However, it was not till 1840 that the Institution could be divided into School and College departments.
It will be not out of place to mention here that, at the Disruption of 1843 (when 450 ministers of the Church broke away from the parent body, and formed the Free Church of Scotland), Duff sided with the Free Church, left the General Assembly’s Institution and established a new educational institution in Calcutta, named as Free Church Institution, which commenced its work on 4th March, 1843.
However, these two institutions founded by Duff, The Free Church Institution and the General Assembly’s Institution, were merged together in 1908, to form The Scottish Churches College. Later, after the official union of the established Church of Scotland and the Free Church in 1929, the college was renamed as the Scottish Church College. In its centenary year the School section was renamed as The Scottish Church Collegiate School. Later, a building was constructed by the side of the main building, actually on the playground of the School, situated at Roy Bagan Street. This building was further renovated and enlarged in 1958 and named as Hensman Block after the then headmaster J.C. Hensman.
The School is affiliated with the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education, and the West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education for the secondary and higher secondary school examinations respectively. The school is officially under the Governing Body of Diocesan Schools, the Diocesan Board of Education and the Church of North India.
The Kolkata Municipal Corporation has marked the main premises of the school as a grade-1 heritage building.