Asutosh College was the brainchild of the great mathematician, educationist and the then Vice-Chancellor of the University of Calcutta, Sir Ashutosh Mukhopadhyay. History says that, in the year 1915, the General Committee of the South Suburban Group of Schools sought permission from the government to establish a college in South Calcutta, and a year later the government of India approved the upgrading of the South Suburban School to an intermediate college, South Suburban College. Accordingly, from July 1916, South Suburban College started to operate from a rented building on Lansdown Road. However, after a year, the College shifted to another building on Russa Road.
In 1918, the intermediate college was upgraded to a degree college. In the year 1924, when Sir Ashutosh passed away, the college was renamed after him. In 1927, the Asutosh Mukherjee Memorial Institute appealed to the Calcutta Corporation for a plot of land in Hazra Park, to be leased for the construction of a new building for the College. Finally, the college moved to its current location situated at 92, S.P. Mukherjee Road in 1935.
The present college building has a premise of forty thousand square feet, with more than fifty classrooms. Today, twenty-seven subjects are taught in the College, as Honors/Major at the Undergraduate level. A post graduation course in Environmental Science was also introduced in the yeas 2002.. Apart from the Central library, all the faculties are well equipped with their own libraries and well-organized modern laboratories for the Science departments.
Asutosh College provides two hostels for boys situated on Kalighat Road and Basanta Bose Road. The Asutosh Memorial Hall, housed in the main building, is used for a number of academic and cultural functions organized by the College and the students. The College has a very good library with reading room facilities. Asutosh College is only one of the two colleges in the city, which has a ground and a tent at the Maidan. A Gymnasium is also there in the Annexe Building.