Since 1865, St Paul’s Cathedral Mission College, Calcutta has a glorious history of about one hundred and fifty years to its credit. The college is one of the oldest academic institutions of the city. It may be safely asserted that this institution played a significant role in the academic field of Bengal since the mid-nineteenth century and is continuing to do the same till date.
The College was established in 1865 by the Church Missionary Society (CMS), who felt that it was necessary to set up ‘First Arts’ and Undergraduate Colleges through which an increasing number of students could be prepared for the higher University degree. Thus was born a new “The Cathedral Mission College” on January 25th, 1865 at the rented premises of 25 Sookeas Street (now Kailash Bose Street). Reverend J. Burton was the chief founder and the first principal of the college. The College later shifted to 22 Mirzapur Street or 12 Old College square (now Surya Sen Street) and finally shifted to the present location of 33/1 Amherst Street in July 1908, very near to the Holy Trinity Church and just opposite to Vishudhanand Saraswati Marwari Hospital The college was renamed as St Paul’s Cathedral Mission College in 1914. From a mere strength of 193 students and 6 teachers, the college now has a strength of over 1500 students and as many as 11 Honours Courses, and some general ones.
Since 1865, the college is affiliated with the University of Calcutta, but the first subject to receive affiliation at the Honours Standard was English, in 1915. Other subjects in the Humanities namely History and Philosophy followed in 1917, while Economics was granted the same in 1929. Pure Science began to be taught in the College in the Intermediate Standard since 1921, but it was not until the 1950s that Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry received affiliation at the Honours level. Newer subject Political Science, Microbiology, Physiology, Zoology and Sociology were introduced in 2003-04 while Honours in Hindi began in 2009-10.
Today, with sixteen departments and over 1500 students, the five buildings of the college surround an extensive space in Amherst Street, alias Raja Rammohan Roy Sarani, near College Street. Much of the city’s heritage is captured in the college campus, the oldest building being over a hundred years old. It not only boasts of its academic excellence and cordial teacher-student relationship, but also has a lush green campus and a quiet tranquil surroundings, which is very rare in these days.