Located at 118, Princep Street, Kolkata 700071, Calcutta Girls’ High School (abbreviated as CGHS) is a private school for girls, founded in 1856 as a boarding school under the patronage of Lord Canning. From the very inception the School was supported by the Evangelical sector of the city and finally in 1877, Bishop J. M.Thoburn of the Methodist Episcopal Church was entrusted with the responsibility of the management of the School.
Ms Emma Knowles took the charge of the School in 1890 and she introduced the kindergarten department, as well as training for vocal and instrumental music in 1892. Drill classes were started by the Principal, Miss Widdifield in 1892. During the same year Calcutta Girls’ School crowned the glory of being the only school to send the girls, who passed in 1st division, to High School. In 1901, Ms. M. Storrs took the initiative to set up the school library and reading room.
The year 1911 was an important year for the School. In this year 16 girls were sent for the Senior Cambridge Examination and the School came to be known as the Calcutta Girls’ High School. Clubs for various activities (like Drama, Piano, Art & Craft, Badminton etc.) were introduced in the School in 1933. Annual Concert started as an annual event since 1938.
The school prepares students for the Indian certificate of secondary education (ICSE) examination (class X) and the Indian School Certificate (ISC) examination (class XII)