Kashmir Unrest: Curfew Continues For Eight Days
You are here
Home > India > Kashmir Unrest: Curfew Continues For Eight Days, Media Services Seized

Kashmir Unrest: Curfew Continues For Eight Days, Media Services Seized

kashmir violence

Kashmir unrest remained continue for eight days and it has resulted more deaths following the death of top militant Burhan Wani. The death toll has risen to 39 and over 3000 injured including 1,500 security personnel. Eight days curfew in 10 districts of Kashmir Valley has paralyzed the normal life.

Both the security groups Hurriyat Conference and the JKLF have called strike and on Friday, 15th July they extended their strike call till Moday evening.

A police officer said, “Curfew continues to remain in force in all 10 districts of Kashmir valley today as precautionary measure for maintaining law and order.” He added that the decision to continue the curfew was taken because of the stone pelting incident in large number across the whole valley.

violence in kashmir

The administration has deployed police and military forces at the sensitive places. The government shattered all mobile connectivity except BSNL.

A police official stated three military attacks occurred at Natnusa, Lolab (both in Kupwara) and Yaripora (Kulgam district) which caused 16 officers injured; one of them is in critical condition. After Friday protesters clashed with the police at Yaripora. Officers said policemen were trying to control the situation but one of the protesters threw grenade on them which left seven polices injured. In that same area a protester was killed and three others were injured.

Clashes also took place at Khaitengan in Baramulla district where police fired on a group of protesters and in Sopore stone pelting injured five people.

Media services seized

To suppress the rebellion situation in Kashmir, Mehbooba Mufti government has launched a crackdown on Kashmiri media. Police raided the major dailies in Srinagar. They seized tens of thousands of copies and shutting down Kashmir’s largest circulating English daily ‘The Greater Kashmir’. They asked the employees to stop printing. The police officers also seized more than 50,000 copies of its sister publication ‘Kashmir Uzma’.

But the e-paper had already published; the paper alleged the authorities misbehaved with the employees. They also took away the printing plates of the English newspaper.

Greater Kashmir posted on its website, “Authorities on midnight gagged the Greater Kashmir by raiding the Greater Kashmir Corporate office at Rangreth on city outskirts. Police arrested the Greater Kashmir Printing Press foreman Biju Chaudary and two other employees. Policemen seized the plates of Greater Kashmir and more than 50,000 printed copies of Kashmir Uzma (Urdu daily) and closed down the GKC printing press.”

The proprietor of KT press (prints eight newspapers in the valley), Raja Mohi ud Din said his printing press was also restrained. “Police seized newspaper copies in thousands besides printing material and plates of a few newspapers.”

Another popular daily Kashmir Reader was also seized. Kashmir Reader posted on the website, “The employees of the printing press said a posse of police seized the copies. At 2.00 am, police raided KT printing press at Rangreth and detained eight people while seizing copies of Kashmir Reader.”

Authorities also carried away the copies of leading daily Rising Kashmir, and Urdu dailies Srinagar Times and Aftab.

This is the first time government imposed such a ban on newspapers. A senior journalist Sheikh Mushtaq stated, “The government would seize copies but not seal presses However the curfew was so strict that newspapers could not publish for days.’’

Authorities also suspended some channels to stop airing the news of the tumult and restricted the whole information services severely across the valley.

Pakistan blamed PM Modi

Pakistan India

Pakistan Defense Minister Khawaja Mohammed Asif directly blamed Narendra Modi on Friday for this massacre. He said what Kashmir was tormenting it was a part of Modi’s cleanliness drive. He tweeted, “Massacre and genocide in Indian Occupied Kashmir is extention & re-enactment of ethnic cleansing started by Modi in Gujrat (sic).” He also described Burhan wani as a martyr.

Asif’s comment came after PM Nawaz Sharif expressed his unity with Kashmiris and announced 19th July would be Pakistan’s Black Day at a special meeting of the federal cabinet chaired by PM Sharif. Even the federal cabinet condemned Indian Government’s verdict to call Wani a terrorist. The PM’s office said in a statement, “Nawaz Sharif has expressed deep shock at the killing of Kashmiri leader Burhan Wani and many other civilians by the Indian military and paramilitary forces.”

“Indian tyranny will only strengthen the free only strengthen the freedom movement in Kashmir and Pakistan will continue to extend moral, political and diplomatic support to Kashmiris in their just struggle for their right to self-determination, I and the entire Pakistani nation steadfastly stand by Kashmiris against Indian oppression.”

In the tug of War between India and Pakistan, both these countries are busy to show off their power. But in between that not only Kashmiris but the whole nation is suffering. It’s the high time to stop blaming each other and communally find some way to end terrorism and violence.

Also read:

Suchismita Biswas
Pen is mightier than swords - these words make me passionate about writing. Except writing I love to travel , love to explore the unknown places, love photography and love listening to music. Also I am an avid reader of books. I'm a simple girl but I am what I am.

Leave a Reply