Formerly known as Campbell Medical School, Nil Ratan Sirkar Medical College & Hospital is a medical teaching institution and a public hospital, situated very near to Sealdah Railway Station, in the heart of Calcutta. It is popularly known as NRS Hospital or NRS Medical College.
The Hospital was not built in a day. In 1864 Sealdah Market Building, at present the Central Hall of the College, was converted to the Sealdah Municipal Hospital. On 1st Dec. 1873 the Sealdah Medical School was born out of the Sealdah Municipal Hospital. The following year it was renamed as Campbell Medical School, after the name of the then Governor Lt. Campbell. After independence of India, the School was upgraded in the month of July 1948 and was named as Campbell Medical College.
Before its up-gradation as a Medical College, in 1895 the Lady Elliot Hostel, an artistically designed building was constructed out of a charity fund of Rs. 24.040/- generously donated by Her Highness of Mursidabad-Sams-E-Jahan Begum Paradua Mahal Shahiba. On 19th Aug. 1950 the College was renamed as Nilratan Sircar Medical College after the name of the great freedom fighter and alumni of this institution.
The institution, run by the Government of West Bengal, is affiliated to the West Bengal University of Health Sciences. Apart from undergraduate courses and postgraduate studies, the College also undertakes different pre-clinical, Para-clinical and clinical curriculum and is recognized under the Medical Council of India. A General Nursing-cum-Midwifery Course for 3 years, is another side of this institution.
The Institution has state of the art infrastructure with best in class facilities and the Hospital with bed strength of 1890. A Medical teachers’ training center of the state has already been set-up in the Academic Building of this Institution. A few batches have already received training in different disciplines.